What you need
Step 1 - Make the headband
- Cut a sheet of A4 paper in half (horizontally) and glue together with a 2cm overlap to make a long strip like the image below. This is the headband. Put the strip around your head to see if it fits. You may need to add another strip if it doesn’t fit.
Step 2- Making the Decorations
2. Fold a A4 paper in half horizontally.
3. Draw half a claadagh. Trace the other half so you have a full Claadagh.
Claddagh is a design which has two hands holding a crowned heart. The hands represents friendship, the heart symbolises love and the crown loyalty.
4. Outline and draw different Celtic patterns on the heart, the crown and the cuffs. You can draw shamrocks, celtic knots and celtic spirals.
A Shamrock is a young sprig which is used as a symbol of Ireland and St Patrick and also symbolises faith, hope and love.
5.Colour and cut around the claddagh. Keep aside.
6. Draw four shamrocks two roughly 7.5cm high and 7cm wide and the other two 9cm high and 8.5cm wide.
Then draw four triquetra knots two 8cm x 8cm and two 9cm x 9cm.
A Triquetra knot is a symbol made of three interlace arcs. The line is unbroken and never ending, which represents many things such as unity, protection and everlasting life.
7. Colour and cut the shamrocks and the triquetra. Keep aside.
Step 3 - Assembling the Headdress
8. Glue the claddagh you made on the headband. Make sure the point of the heart is in the center and below the headband.
9. Glue the two big triquetras on either side of the headband just near the little finger of the claddagh. Make sure you don’t cover where your eyes will be.
10.Glue the two smaller shamrocks on either side of the headband next to the triquetra.
11. Glue the two smaller triquetras above the shamrocks on either sides.
12. Glue the two big shamrocks between the crown and the hands on either sides.
13. Trim the excess headband above the eyes, like the image below.
ST PATRICK'S DAY HEADDRESS TUTORIAL
HOPE YOU HAD FUN CREATING YOUR OWN ST PATRICK'S DAY HEADDRESS TUTORIAL
You can add something shiny to the St Patrick’s Day headdress to make it more creative and sparkly.
We would love to see your fantastic creations so please share your pictures with us on social media @mahoganycarnival.
Thank you for using our template. We hope you enjoyed making your St Patrick’s Day and we look forward to seeing you on our next creative making carnival workshop.